I Hope You Are In The Mood for Meat

I've been under heavy conviction as of late over my lack. Yes, girls, I have fallen short of the glory of homemaking. I would truly love to have my stuff a little more together but until my children decide to cut their tired mom some slack and lay off sports for one measly season, it appears our schedule and therefore my home shall remain a hot bundle of chaos.

But I'm taking steps. They are baby steps but advancements forward all the same. You'll be glad to know that thanks to Joanne, I've cleaned out a junk drawer, two utensil drawers, and my pots/pans cabinet in the past few days. And tonight? Well, I cooked Paula Deen.

Well, not Paula Deen herself, but a delicious chicken dish she conjured in her Lady and Sons Savannah Country cookbook. This particular meal was met with rave reviews from the fam therefore I could not let this day go by without sharing the recipe.

BUT, before I do, I should tell you this dish is very meaty. If you sicken easily over raw chicken, or if you've eaten Mexican for lunch and supper the day before (oh yes I did), then be warned the prep work on this recipe is a little nauseating. However, how could I refuse when my Number Two son said, "You are cooking chicken, topped with beef and rolled with bacon? That is awesomeness!" Since his multi-layered meat dishes are typically limited to a Jack's Double Cheeseburger, I soldiered through the fleshiness of it.

If you aren't throwing up yet, here's the 411: (Wonder why I'm not publishing cookbooks?)


Chicken Breasts in Sour Cream Sauce


8 slices dried beef (in a jar)
8 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (7 oz. each)
4 slices bacon, cut in half
1 cup sour cream
One 10 3/4 oz. can condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lay one piece of dried beef on each chicken breast and wrap with a half slice of bacon. Place in a 13x9 inch casserole dish, seam side down. Mix sour cream, soup, and mushrooms together. Pour over chicken breasts. Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours. Serve with rice.



Hope you love it!


NOTE: I didn't eat the dried beef and bacon though you can if you want. They flavor the chicken nicely without having to eat the fat.